Disclaimer

Not an official site of the the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Monday, March 31, 2014

Prophet in your pocket

This post if from my Book of Mormon Class at BYU-I. I hope you enjoy it.

In Moroni 7:35-37 Moroni asks whether "the day of miracles has ceased."

This is an interesting question in our day. We have so many miracles around us every day that we don't see them as miracles, but as the workings of the hands of men. Cars for example, can take you from Nauvoo to Salt Lake in 18 hours. The same trek took the pioneers months to travel. The pilgrimage to America took our ancestors 2-3 months in poor living conditions. Now, you can take a take a cruise in luxury from New York to England, tour several ports, and be back home before your 2 week vacation is over. Let's not even get started on airplanes.

How about the every day miracle we get to experience next weekend? Twice a year you can have the prophet of the Lord, the 12 apostles, several of the seventy, and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in your living room, and a tiny little square in the corner for the Portland Timbers. AND in your neighbor's living room, AND at the stake center, ALL AT THE SAME TIME!! and you can talk to your parents about it from 2,000 miles away WHILE it's happening! In less than a month you won't be reading their words in chiseled stone, but on mashed tree pulp, or in the form of light (on your computers and phones.) Speaking of phones, if you have a smartyphone you can read the scriptures, church magazines, conference talks, or almost any other church publication anywhere you go. Seriously, what other generation of Saints had a prophet in their pocket?

Sure, all these things were created by men, but the knowledge, and inspiration to create them was given by God.

This doesn't even speak for the spiritual miracles we experience. I've never seen an angel, but I've seen things happen that shouldn't have happened, and been inspired to do things that I would never have done on my own. I've had the Spirit speak to me, clearly and unmistakably, and I've seen visions that both enlighten, and frighten me. I've seen God's hand in my life around me, I see it every day, and it's hard to not be complacent, and forget life itself is a miracle.

And when do I wonder whether there are still miracles? Just as Moroni says, when I lose faith, and waver in my beliefs. I can forget rather quickly then just how much the Lord has done for me, and that is a sad state to be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment